Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About the ads... I'm seeing a deep throat spray ad now... It makes me smile 😊
(08 Jan 2016, 10:19 )herrpee Wrote: [ -> ]'m seeing a deep throat spray ad now... It makes me smile
Always wanted to try it ;P
As you may have noticed, the "Up" arrow (bottom right) is back πŸ˜‰
I have a doubt, when I was trying to upload a png file there was a mistake and the message said that the file was invalid, is there something wrong with png or did I miss something about not using png while uploading?.

And other thing the youtube videos (from any post I think) it's working for me, from old post to new post.
You are doing a great job with the site Like Ra

And something I remember from and old reply refering to the ads:
(07 Jan 2016, 12:44 )LikeΒ Ra Wrote: [ -> ]I would prefer them to be smaller, but that's the new eBay standard

I don't know if it's against ebay policy to tweak the ads or the side bar, so I tried to tweak a little extra css to appear smaller with this code (of course if you can add a new stylesheet to add that CSS you can judge the new "size" if you like it:
Code:
#elist > a > img{ width: 100px !important; object-fit: contain;}

#text_right {width: 140px !important}
(12 Jan 2016, 06:18 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]when I was trying to upload a png file there was a mistake and the message said that the file was invalid, is there something wrong with png
Can you check if the file is indeed a PNG one, and not JPG or GIF , but named wrongly?

(12 Jan 2016, 06:18 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to tweak a little extra css to appear smaller with this code

My idea was to use the real dimensions for fast and non-obtrusive rendering. So, what I do is I pre-load the images onto the server, determine the sizes, than insert these sizes into the HTML. More work and bandwidth (plus 250kb/s) on the server side, but fast loading in the browser. The max width of the current images is 140px, the former - 80px.

I do resizing in the RSS streams, but the image sizes are not known anyway, and downloading of gigabytes of temporary pictures just to determine width x height makes no sense.

But thanks for the CSS ideas - I will definitely use them. I'm planning to redo the styles to make the site more responsive, and to increase the rendering speed. BTW, do you know a good place/URL about CSS performance?
(12 Jan 2016, 14:02 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]But thanks for the CSS ideas - I will definitely use them. I'm planning to redo the styles to make the site more responsive, and to increase the rendering speed. BTW, do you know a good place/URL about CSS performance?
Well I'm not an expert in CSS just the basics so I can do my job where I work, but this site always have good articles about CSS https://css-tricks.com/efficiently-rendering-css/ (the gave tips about CSS rendering (what's best and what's worst) and other stuff. And about CSS performance the only thing I've used it's the network tab on chrome developer tools it shows approximately the time it takes to load all the CSS (or other files of the site). Maybe it can help you a little bit.

And of course minifying https://cssminifier.com/ (I don't know if myBB has minified styles, but if don't you can try minify your CSS if you think the file it's too big (only for the live site for performance). Hope this helps a little bit.
(13 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]And about CSS performance the only thing I've used it's the network tab on chrome developer tools it shows approximately the time it takes to load all the CSS (or other files of the site).
Yes, this is what I use too. And https://GTmetrix.com

(13 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]And of course minifying
I use PageSpeed from Google, so everything is minified, combined, deferred automatically πŸ˜‰
(13 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]https://css-tricks.com
Great site! Thanks!
Tweaking the blog styles. Trying to make the design a bit more responsive. Please report bugs πŸ˜‰
jQuery 2.2.0 screwed up most of the functionalities. Returned to 2.1.4. Let me know if you notice anything not working.