Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow... the site is flying in Firefox 10. Something was definitely fixed there.
I wonder what happened 2 hours ago. Something was slamming the site. The average traffic increased from 350-400kbit/sec to 2-2.2Mbit/sec.

Apparently, the packaged version of mod_qos does not work. Also I see lots of crashes caused my mod_qos.

Time to compile it by myself....
Tried to simulate a high forum load by advertising in various social network. The new record is 99 simultaneous users. I noticed no delays.

But I think that 90% of these users are bots...
I think someone was ripping the whole site again. Probably not only one bastard. Have a look at the load:

[attachment=5505] [attachment=5504]

The site was barely alive for the last two days. Need to look at mod_qos again. The Ubuntu package contains a very old version, so will need to recompile.
As you may have seen in this post: http://www.likera.com/blog/wp/archives/12184 a lot was changed. Now I'm running kernel 3.2.0, mysql 5.5, apache 2.2.22, php 5.3.10 etc. Not sure if it's related to the upgrade or to the fact that I haven't posted any fetish/bondage drawings (the most popular subject on the site 😉, but the load time has sharply decreased. What is good, of course.

Some things are still broken, but that's more related to browser compatibility. For example

o- the site does not look good in the built-in Android ICS browser, mobile Opera (I haven't checked it by myself) and Chrome with AdBlock+.

o- the eBay column is hidden (but loaded) in the forum thread mode.

o- the current installed version of mod-qos does not do anything, but there is no precompiled package for the latest (no time to compile by myself).

So, still a lot to work on.
Next step in the war with spammers: I've begun to block /16 blocks. Let's see if it helps. The blog gets hundreds of SPAM comments a day. Unbelievable...
The latest anti-spam measures proved to be working. Currently I have 5 layers of protection. The result - the amount of SPAM blog comments visible to me (not to the general public) decreased from hundreds a day to no more than a dozen.
You may have noticed two Linode outages on May 23 and May 26.

The one on May 23 was caused by spanning-tree loops introduced during new network equipment installation (can always happen, been there ...)

And on May 26 there were issues with DNS resolvers in one of the data centers.

This is theresult:

[attachment=5692]
I've recently noticed a small bug..

Whenever I click on an image, or reply to a message, it asks me to re-login which is fine, but then when I do, i get redirected to a page and get a 404 error. It never really worked right in the past either, for instance, you'd expect that say you click on an image, it asks for you to re-login, you do, then it should open the image you had clicked on right? Well it used to just take you back to the page you were on vs. opening the image.

Not a big deal, but I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Mike
(27 May 2012, 16:58 )catransvestic Wrote: [ -> ]i get redirected to a page and get a 404 error. It never really worked right in the past either, for instance, you'd expect that say you click on an image, it asks for you to re-login, you do, then it should open the image you had clicked on right?

Strange, never seen this behaviour. The forum remembers me and never asks to relogin. Looks like a cookie issue.

And if you just (Shift-)reload the 403 page?

(27 May 2012, 16:58 )catransvestic Wrote: [ -> ]Not a big deal, but I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Don't think so... I do not want to mess up with the forum code. I hope it will be fixed in a next release.