Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found the biggest abusers - MyAlerts and Game section. The game scripts and DB queries are more difficult to tweak, but at the same time it's not that important because not widely used.
Nice work with the picture controls Ra, thank you!
I still can't move the controls towards the centre, though, but it's much better than before, agree 😊

Pity nobody can appreciate the work I've done with the DB tuning and SQL queries 😉 E.g. nobody can't tell the difference between 0.001s and 0.0001s, but it's "ten times"! 😁

I think it's like secretly wearing fetish items underneath your normal clothes 😁 Nobody notices, unless the outer layer malfunctions.
Next thing to fix - quoted images are not shown. I remember I fixed that aeady, but most likely an update broke it again.
OK, a mental note for myself. When it happens again, run the following SQL query:

UPDATE mybb_users SET showimages=1,showvideos=1 WHERE showimages=0

I have no idea why, but for some users e.g. me and @madjack, this option gets reset, but I can't find the corresponding User CP- > Edit Settings parameter to fix that. So, one line to fix everybody 😁
As you may have noticed, the eBay ads on the right looks different now. Long story short, it's completely rewritten. Now short story long:

o- eBay was going to shut the old system down two years ago, but for some reason it's still alive. But it's not supported and sooner or later it will be deprecated. Nobody knows when...

o- HTTPS was not working with the old system

o- the load has moved from the clients (user browsers) to the server (the server processes all the megabytes of the XML responses)

o- the pages are 4 times smaller now

o- the total page load time (including all scripts that run after the page load event), has been decreased by several times. (pure HTML vs dynamic JavaScripts executed one by one).

o- the site can be moved to full HTTPS support

o- everything is cached for fast browsing or fast page reload

o- new item searching system finds more interesting stuff. I'm aeady thinking about buying some...

Let me know if you find something broken.
Also, I began to tweak the blog CSS to adjust the pages to the screen size. No big success yet. I still do not understand why the "mobile sizes" get ignored...
I moved the default URL's of the forum and the blog to HTTPS. We are entering a new era 😉 Let's see if there are any performance implications. HTTP should still work as well.
Up to now...everything you're done I like, and therefore a big thanks for your effort!
Thanks man!

Some news from today:

o- I discovered, that eBay is much kinkier, than I thought

o- I fixed the Blog rendering on the mobile devices - I created this problem years ago by myself by using the viewport statement: <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">

o- I like asynchronous content loading!

o- HTTP/2 is indeed very fast, because of simultaneous parallel loading, but the initial connection is slower (HTTPS vs HTTP).

Next things to fix/improve:

o- The "Edit" menu appears 70 pixels lower, than it should (bug)
o- Random image plugin uses HTTPS regardless the initial protocol (bug)
o- DeviantArt streams can provide full res pictures without logging in , but thumbnails are picked up by the plugin instead. (improvement)
o- RSS streams plugin should be rewritten to use Memcache instead of MySQL. I see no benefits of spoiling and abusing database with temporary data. (improvement)