Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tried more tweaks. Interesting, that WP DB cache did not improve anything, but quite the opposite it constantly increases CPU load.

I wonder if zram helps with RAM shortage. Let's see in a couple of days.
Finally... After years of troubleshooting, testing and trying to understand why the heck the database is writing gigabytes(!) to disks I finally nailed it. SQL logs, SQL analysis, plugin analysis and here we go! An innocent looking plugin for wordpress that adds pagination... Hundreds DB deletes/inserts per minute! Oh my...

Tweaked the plugin, now the CPU, disk I/O rate gone down significantly, and DB cache hits increased to 70%.

Just a couple of lines of PHP code... BTW, I think this is why the site was banned many times by the previous provider.

Yes, I learn, I do learn...
Next step is to update the WP (Blog) theme so it's compatible with the latest WordPress API and HTML5. More work, but it needs to be done anyway...
And another breakthrough - I rewrote some scripts so now they work asynchronously after the page has loaded. The result is a further 50% speed up and increase in the Google and Yahoo speed grades.

Now I need to move the Google Analytics script in the same "area", because it takes too much time to load (about 05.sec)... Actually, I have an idea...
Yarrggghhh.. another @#$%^&* ripper DOSed the site. Unfortunately I noticed too late. Blocked...
One good thing is that the huge load did not overload Apache/PHP/MySQL. Looks like I've done a good job ;P

BTW, is there something going on in the Internet between Europe and US? I see a significant packet loss. Or is it my provider?
Its the NSA 😉

Besides, sometimes in the overview of threads inside a subforum, if there's a new answer in a thread there which I didn't read yet, there is a small thingie saying things like "2 new posts!". But this doesn't work always, only sometimes. Did you notice that?
(06 Dec 2013, 09:49 )B1u3 Wrote: [ -> ]Its the NSA
I think they have finally tapped the cable because the connectivity restored 😁

(06 Dec 2013, 09:49 )B1u3 Wrote: [ -> ]But this doesn't work always, only sometimes.
Dunno how this plugin works, need to investigate... Does it correlate with "View Unread Posts" above, BTW?
I'm still redesigning the blog theme (mostly internally). So you may see broken design or "the white screen of death". WordPress introduced some interesting features I would like to implement. Then I'm going to replace the menu system.
Quote:
(06 Dec 2013, 09:49 )B1u3 Wrote: [ -> ]But this doesn't work always, only sometimes.
Dunno how this plugin works, need to investigate... Does it correlate with "View Unread Posts" above, BTW?

Hm, didn't check that. Normally I don't use this function, "View unread Posts". I just go to the main overview, open the subforums which are marked something happened there and then the threads.