Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could be. Tiny phones and Big Meaty Claws are pretty much my problem here.
Yes, last page would be 45 in this thread.
Just in case. At the very bottom there is a link called "Return to Top". At least you do not have to scroll all the way up to the top.
I'm very curious why mysql read/write ratio is not 95/5 or something but 83% / 17%. A year ago I found out that there was an innocent plugin with a broken logic that cause enormous amount of database writes. So yesterday I made another DB investigation round and was logging all SQL requests (almost 300MB !!!) over the night.

Interesting results. At the average load of 42 qps, 5.5 qps is taken by the Stop Spammer Registration plugin. The plugin statistics shows:

"Stop Spammers has stopped 562682 spammers since 2012/10/14"

It's not counting 150,000 spam comments blocked by Aklismet. That's 13% of all SQL requests!

Then 5 qps is related to one post http://www.likera.com/blog/wp/archives/5105

So, looks like the spammers are using their tools to try to login or to add comments to one particular post, taking 20% of the DB load. Yes, everything is cached, but still... OTOH, they can use another post as a target...

I wonder what happens if I take this post down and repost it 😉

The next DB intensive feature is the "Streams". No wonder, but the plugin caching could be written better.

BTW, the only frequently used DB write requests are post and thread view counters. But still 17% writes...
Indeed, Apache logs show that a couple of IP-addresses were constantly hitting the Blog login script. Log analysis is a fun on its own. But why does everything takes money, energy and eventually money? 😁
Spent yesterday some time comparing the current MyBB version running on this site (1.6.x) and the latest one (1.8.x). It's very tempting to upgrade, because some annoyances are changed (e.g. the slow prototype.js is fully replaced with jQuery.js, the buttons are CSS instead of images, some small images are sprited, etc), but on the other hand, the new software will require heavy optimization (this forum scores much higher than the one on MyBB.com, ha-ha), new theme and new plugins, because the old 1.6 ones are not compatible with 1.8.

So, currently it's better to stay on 1,6, but OTOH, all efforts such as optimizations, tweaks and design changes will be lost after final migration to 1.8 (old plugins do not receive updates anymore).

That's speaking of demotivators...
Where is that " Back to top " button?
I don't see it on the bottom of the current page.
Or " Return to Top "
(13 Dec 2014, 01:01 )Tinker D Wrote: [ -> ]Where is that " Back to top " button?
I don't see it on the bottom of the current page.
Or " Return to Top "
[attachment=13637]
Ok, I see it now.
Excuse me for being picky, but don't you think that should have it's very own box or button rather than hiding in what looks like a sentence?
Just thinking here.
(13 Dec 2014, 15:47 )Tinker D Wrote: [ -> ]Excuse me for being picky, but don't you think that should have it's very own box or button rather than hiding in what looks like a sentence?
Please reload the page. Then scroll down. See the right bottom corner? What do you think?