Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just noticed an interesting thing - if you log out, it should work. That means more to investigate.
100K+ views! (100,177)
I've just noticed that the forum automatic tasks were not run since April, because of one stuck operation! It's amazing how much you can notice if you do a full scale troubleshooting! Other tweaks I have made during the last couple of days:

o- The image thumbnails are now links to actual images, not to the attachment.php?thumbnail=xxxxx script. Just imagine how much time and CPU cycles are saved if there are 50 thumbnails per page! The script is called once per image, and it does a direct reading from the disk. Now the script is not called at all, until you click on a thumbnail.

o- As a side effect (it was not possible before), ModSpeed is configured to ignore the thumbnail images, what also saves some cycles. I recompressed all the thumbnails, so it's not needed anyway.

o- Apache uses the sendfile method (so it's actually done by the OS directly with no Apache involvement)

o- Forum thread view counters are updated every 15 minutes to mitigate possible DB lockings

o- Multiple other errors and mistypes have been corrected.

o- More issues have been identified, but not fixed yet πŸ˜‰

... but I've still no idea what breaks page #11 of the Pantyhose encasement thread ... 😁
Uhm, one more thing I just noticed: sometimes the photo's are too big to fit on my screen, so the box with the arrows to navigate the photo's gets put below the picture. If I want to go to the next picture I need to scroll down. But if I am at the bottom of the page I can't scroll down any longer so the navigation box is below the picture, out of reach and I need to close the enlarged picture and click on another one., make sure I'm high enough in the page and need to rinse and repeat.
(03 Nov 2015, 11:21 )herrpee Wrote: [ -> ]Uhm, one more thing I just noticed: sometimes the photo's are too big to fit on my screen, so the box with the arrows to navigate the photo's gets put below the picture. If I want to go to the next picture I need to scroll down. But if I am at the bottom of the page I can't scroll down any longer so the navigation box is below the picture, out of reach and I need to close the enlarged picture and click on another one., make sure I'm high enough in the page and need to rinse and repeat.

Yup... me too 😟  Initially I thought the changes Ra made to the forum had dropped this feature but then I realised it was off the bottom of the page view once an image had been opened.

I also have the same issue with the 'edit' box which appears off screen at the bottom (scroll down and its there)

Neither are huge issues, but are they another clue in the investigation?

Very strange

MJ
I experimented with the position of the controls and I like none πŸ˜• But let's move it to the right for the time being, there is less chance that it gets hidden. Need to experiment more ...
Today (took me the whole SaturdayπŸ˜• )I have made the first couple of steps in order to fully support SSL/HTTPS! The certificates have been installed and tested, Apache is configured, most PHP files are tuned. The forum does not support HTTPS yet, but the rest of the site is pretty much functional with rare exceptions. HTTPS is slower, more CPU intensive, breaks 3d party integration (e.g. Youtube, Myvideo, etc), but it must be configured - Google wants HTTPS, or the rank will sink.

Anyway, more work πŸ˜‰
... HTTP/2 is supported now! ... Actually, HTTP/2 over plain TCP (no SSL) is also supported by the server, but there are no such browsers yet πŸ˜‰

Just in case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP/2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP/1.1_Upgrade_header
The forum supports HTTPS now! HTTP/2 makes it almost as fast as a non-encrypted HTTP/1.1.
Got SPDY, SSL NPN compiled and installed, but it does not work correctly with HTTP/2 and SSL module, so I disabled SSL NPN, but apparently SPDY is not getting initialized without the old NPN. So, I have chosen the future: HTTP/2 πŸ˜‰