Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

ever thought to change the webserver?

Here is an nice article http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/188124...erving-PHP

krinlyc
I was thinking about nginx... But the required amount of work is a bit scary. I still do not have time to republish all pages broken by @#$%^& photobucket.... And yes, I'm running php-fpm 😉

Bottom line - I agree with the article. Nginx + php-fpm is the way to set up a new web-site. Also, the last stable of mod_pagespeed supports Nginx.

As for the database, my choice is still MySQL, but if Oracle does not speed up, MariaSQL may move to the 1st place in a couple of years.
OTOH... I can play with Nginx on another port, right? 😉
I can't make Nginx work with PHP. It keeps ignoring the "root" variable and uses the directory that is not mentioned in any of the config files (built-in?). Two days wasted, still no luck.
Nginx does not communicate with PHP5-FPM the root directory. Actually, for some reasons (bugs?) the root directory cannot be set up for PHP files at all, no matter what.
OK, I gave up. Apache will stay.
wow so much trouble? I give it a try on a virtual machine...

I am on vacation till next year 😊

krinlyc
I wonder if it's a combination of Ubuntu, PHP5-FPM and Nginx. I've read that the most used platform for Nginx is CentOS. I tried to run it in parallel with Apache on port 81. According to various examples and documentation it should work, but this bloody #$%^ stuck on /etc/nginx/html root dir which even does not exist and not mentioned in any config files. I've found similar questions on the Internet and most of them are not answered.
The site was down for ~40 minutes due to emergency maintenance on the real server.
And here comes another frustration - I'm fed up with the current menu and the menu design. Also it's broken on mobile devices. Need to completely redo it. I have two options in mind: jQuery and pure CSS based.