Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a parallel "project" I"m looking for a suitable solution to implement a global site search (you know, that "standard" search button in the top right corner). Currently evaluating three methods: Sphinx, Sphider and TSEP.

Of course I began with Sphinx. But it turned out that its complexity can be justified only if the size of the DB is close to the amount of RAM. E.g. for forums with more than a million posts. It was interesting anyway.
Was fiddling with thread merges and post moves and discovered that deleting the first post in the thread deletes the whole thread instead of shifting all posts upwards.. And the post/thread recovery tool was broken. Oh my....

Had to recover several tables from the backup and reupload attachmemnts (again).

Yes, do make backups!!!!
(20 Jan 2015, 10:09 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]Was fiddling with thread merges and post moves and discovered that deleting the first post in the thread deletes the whole thread instead of shifting all posts upwards.. And the post/thread recovery tool was broken. Oh my....

Had to recover several tables from the backup and reupload attachmemnts (again).

Yes, do make backups!!!!

And, as always, thank you for taking the time and effort to run and maintain the forum ClappingClappingClapping

MJ

Ps. don't forget to back-up the back-ups! 😋
(20 Jan 2015, 19:48 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]Ps. don't forget to back-up the back-ups!
Good point... I do have back-ups of the backups but they are about 4 months old... But... Tomorrow, not today 😉
Hmmmm......

Just tried to start a new thread and found that the option to upload an image was missing.

Any ideas?

MJ
Indeed. The plugin removal script does not work correctly and did not reinsert the standard {$attachbox}. Fixed now.

Thanks for letting me know!
(10 Feb 2015, 16:56 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed. The plugin removal script does not work correctly and did not reinsert the standard {$attachbox}. Fixed now.

Thanks for letting me know!

And thank you for fixing so promptly Clapping

I wish the IT department where I work could be so efficient! 😡

MJ
I was wondering if there was some way to post or upload a video on this site other than posting a link to the tube or art. Or would that eat up too much memory?
No, not yet. We discussed this, but there's still no know solution. The video files are way too big for usual HTTP/PHP uploading.
So, would a private server on a static IP be needed then?
I was also thinking that the video would be saved for a week or so, then deleted.
That could save a ton of space.

Just a thought.