Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Jan 2016, 16:39 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]As you may have noticed, the eBay ads on the right looks different now. Long story short, it's completely rewritten. Now short story long:

o- eBay was going to shut the old system down two years ago, but for some reason it's still alive. But it's not supported and sooner or later it will be deprecated. Nobody knows when...
Well I've seen the ads more bigger and that's fine, but I don't know if it's possible to open those links in a new tab to avoid missing visitors or someone who is a regular user clicks the ad and they redirect to ebay and you have to click "back" on the browser. Just a suggestion, the ads look great
(07 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]Well I've seen the ads more bigger and that's fine,
I would prefer them to be smaller, but that's the new eBay standard 😟
(07 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]f it's possible to open those links in a new tab to avoid missing visitors or someone who is a regular user clicks the ad and they redirect to ebay and you have to click "back" on the browser.
Oh, thanks for the idea! I always use the middle mouse button to open links in new tabs, and I thought that spawning new windows can be annoying. Let's change it and see if it's more convenient.
Hm, how do you determine which national ebay is in the ads? I am for example satisfied with german only ads. But at the end it doesn't matter...
(07 Jan 2016, 06:09 )madboyevil Wrote: [ -> ]open those links in a new tab
Done!
(07 Jan 2016, 12:47 )B1u3 Wrote: [ -> ]how do you determine which national ebay is in the ads?
Randomly. Currently 4 geo-locations are used: global (.com or US), DE, AT and UK. I prefer not to use the closest or locale based eBay server for several reasons. Just to name a few:

o- security and privacy (no user location data are required)
o- unreliability and confusion:
- What server should be used for users whose location or locale is determined as Russia, Spain, Italy, Togo?
- What if proxy or corporate exit point is used?
- What if current location does not correspond the locale?
- What if some visitors prefer other eBay servers?
o- Product availability (mostly the global site is used instead the local ones)
o- Product description in other languages (now it's getting more difficult)

In short, extra coding and efforts will not bring anything back. I tried to use the English part of the Canadian server and it was a disaster. I did not get what I was looking for, but got something completely unrelated.
Did I say that I hate Internet Explorer?
I can imagine...

Is there any possibility to fix this ads per user? So that I can choose...? If not, it's not really a problem.
(07 Jan 2016, 18:27 )B1u3 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any possibility to fix this ads per user? So that I can choose...?
I was thinking about that. It can be done if there is an SSO (single sign-on) for the whole site. That would be an ideal solution for many issues, and a big step forward in terms of "user-experience", additional services, possibilities, general "simplifying", etc. AFAIK, SSO is in the ToDo list for MyBB 2.0 (MyBBv2.0 will use Laravel authentication, I haven't read about it yet). OTOH, it should be possible to start with the forum only.

The actual idea behind the eBay stuff is not only getting some money in attempt to cover the site expenses (ha-ha...), but to create an automatic content source. Personally, I find some eBay ads very mmm ... exciting and thoughts provoking, even if I can't or do not want to buy these items. For example, I intentionally added fur coats in the keywords, because I adore beautiful Chinese girls in sheer black pantyhose, mini shorts or mini skirts, and short fur coats Blush
I fully understand what you mean, same for me 😊
But take your time here, just my idea.
(04 Jan 2016, 19:13 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]o- DeviantArt streams can provide full res pictures without logging in , but thumbnails are picked up by the plugin instead. (improvement)
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁

Check it out: https://www.likera.com/blog/wp/archives/16624 All pics are actually "full size" (right click -> view image), but scaled to fit the "box".

(04 Jan 2016, 19:13 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]o- RSS streams plugin should be rewritten to use Memcache instead of MySQL. I see no benefits of spoiling and abusing database with temporary data. (improvement)
Also done. All it takes is to find the right plugin. The problem is that most of them do not work or just break anything. Anyway, all blog objects are cached by Memcached. What even further decreased the DB load. Before I began tuning&tweaking several months ago, the database was being hit at 45 queries per second. Now it's under 20 (15-19qps).

Ohhhh I love my hobbies!!! 😋
(07 Jan 2016, 15:36 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:open those links in a new tab
Done!
Thanks! for me it's a good thing to open in a new tab, sometimes I don't have a mouse and I have to press Ctrl + click or right-click open in new tab, but for the user who are no familiar with computers maybe could help. 
Great job you are doing with the site.