Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Site performance, Server errors, outages and tunings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Funny... In my case nothing just works, until I understand how it works. The story with the RSS plugin proved that again. I had to dig into the code of both plugin and WordPress and tweak it with lots of troubleshooting in between.

What I still do not understand - do I really need all this headache? I aeady know I'm a very good troubleshooter and sysadmin, I do not have to prove it again and again. Why do I spend my precious free unpaid time on this crap?

Frustrations are building up...

I'm tired...
In regards of the streaming ...

I was thinking, would it not be much simpler to just use what is aeady out there.
Like for example http://www.oovoo.com is a free group chat service that allows for 12 people to video chat in 1 session.

That way we only need to for see a time schedule of when some-one is going to do his session. (this could even work in the current forum)
You could volunteer for that specific session and the organizer would need to send you an invitation to join the session.
That way you don't run in to the risk finding your video's the next day all over the internet Confused

Just my 2 cents ... 😊

And thanks for keeping up the good work!
I did find something interesting with the forum login. If I point my browser to "likera.com/forum/mybb" (leaving out the www, since it doesn't usually matter on most sites), I am unable to log in. I type in my username and password, and the page refreshes showing me still as a guest. If I go to "www.likera.com/forum/mybb" (or get to the forum clicking on a hyperlink from elsewhere on the site, which include the prefixed www), the login works fine. It's not a big deal, but it did throw me off a few times until I figured it out.
(17 Apr 2014, 07:42 )BoundWolf Wrote: [ -> ]If I point my browser to "likera.com/forum/mybb" (leaving out the www, since it doesn't usually matter on most sites), I am unable to log in.
I think it's related to the Cookies. They might be disabled in the browser. I will check it, interesting...
Cookies are certainly disabled on my browser, since I use Private Browsing.
I love free stuff! (However nothing comes with free time 😉 )

o- The VPS has been upgraded from 2GB RAM to 4!!! Nice, eh?

o- The CPU's have been upgraded from E5-2630L 0 @ 2.00GHz (cache size : 15360 KB) to E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz (cache size : 25600 KB)

o- But the amount of cores went down from 8 to 4

o- The OS has been upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04

o- MySQL from 5.5 to 5.6 (and all MyISAM tables have been converted to InnoDB, no MyISAM anymore)

o- WordPress from 3.8.3 to 3.9

Also I tweaked the table indexing - all those convenience plugins do not care about the performance...

OK, back to work...
Was just about to say that after the recent upgrade the CPU load dropped by 50% and the site response improved by about the same amount of %%, but I saw this:

[attachment=10904] [attachment=10905]

Errmm... What was it? The traffic was not high... Puzzled...
Got rid of jQuery version 1.x.x and replaced it with 2.x.x (from Google CDN). No more Explorer 6-7-8 support, but the effects (e.g. showing pictures in the forum) work much faster now. Also, the site loads faster (I do feel pressure from the searching engines - they require fast response).

Now I need to find some time and rewrite the menu system. I want more mobile devices support, so the drop-down menus will either have to go or to be replaced with a jQuery version. Pure CSS menus do not work for some reason, but there is a workaround... Yes, I need more time 😁
Odd experience uploading pictures a few minutes ago - the format was lost around the all the buttons (i.e. Select File, Add, Delete, etc), but still worked. Seems to be back now, but very odd.

Also what is the total upload limit when posting images? I've experienced issues (get a message of 'undefined' and no upload) when trying to upload HQ photos and had to reduce the quality/size, which isn't really what I wanted to have to do. Any tips or hints?

MJ
(27 May 2014, 12:00 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]get a message of 'undefined' and no upload
Usually it happens when the extension does not match the file type. E.g. a JPEG file named qqq.png.

These are the current limits:
JPEG 4MB
GIF 7.91MB
PNG 4MB

But for some reason I could not upload a 6MB animated GIF file. No errors anywhere at all, but no upload either.

(27 May 2014, 12:00 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]the format was lost around the all the buttons (i.e. Select File, Add, Delete, etc), but still worked. Seems to be back now, but very odd.
It can be caused by expired style sheets. Shift-Reload usually helps (unless I'm busy with tweaking the design again 😉 )