It’s nice to have many registered users. It’s nice to have them coming, joining and participating. It’s nice to have a raising graph. It’s nice to have nice users.
It’s not not nice to deal with SPAM. After the SPAM storm during the last two days, I finally looked into the user database and this is the result:
- Deleted 500+ awaiting activation accounts
- Banned 250+ users
- Half of online users in the past 24 hours were in fact spammers (if you are registered you can see their account struckthrough).
- 300+ profiles were thoroughly checked also against the “known spammers” database
- Upgraded the forum software
- Added plug-ins, tweaked configuration
- Spent more than one day of my life on that crap
Is it gonna help? At least I’ve learnt a thing or two and will keep an eye on more details than used to before. Yeah, more work, less fun. Speaking of demotivators…