Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: RetroShare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it normal behaviour for Retroshare to connect only to some of my online trusted nodes rather than all of them ?

Sometimes I can be connected to someone as a trusted node just fine and another time I won't be connected to this same trusted node in spite of him being online which I can see if I try to start a private conversation with him.

I'm usually connected to anywhere between 5 and 20 trusted nodes. Not being able to connect to every online trusted node happens even when I'm only connected to 5 so I don't think it's related to my connection speed.
(02 Nov 2020, 23:20 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]Is it normal behaviour for Retroshare to connect only to some of my online trusted nodes rather than all of them ?
How do you check if you are connected to someone?

(02 Nov 2020, 23:20 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I'm usually connected to anywhere between 5 and 20 trusted nodes.
How many "friends" have you got? Currently I'm connected to 45 out of 704.
Like Ra Wrote:How do you check if you are connected to someone?

In the network tab, if someone's status is set either to online, busy or away (or I could just tick the checkbox "Hide offline friends")

Like Ra Wrote:How many "friends" have you got? Currently I'm connected to 45 out of 704.

Currently I'm connected to 10 out of 414.

Edit : ok I saw this post a few pages back
rekt123 Wrote:Exited my Retroshare and reopened it, now it show: setting up tor... but it is stuck on 90%, for some reason it fixes itself when the tor folder is removed, any ideas what's causing this?

I'd been having that same problem randomly for a while except if I waited long enough, it would eventually go to 100% but it sometimes took as long as half an hour.

So I did the same as him, I deleted the tor folder and since I've done that, it seems I'm connecting to everyone I should be connected to. Maybe it's too early to say but if I don't post again, consider my problem solved.
Also, tor should be restarted from time to time as it may stuck to a very non-optimal path.

(03 Nov 2020, 09:04 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]if I don't post again
You can always post in other threads 😉
New "unstable" RS version is out: 6.9.5.2133 (just got it via Ubunty PPA)
(03 Nov 2020, 09:04 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:How do you check if you are connected to someone?
In the network tab, if someone's status is set either to online, busy or away (or I could just tick the checkbox "Hide offline friends")
I counted the users shown online in the Network tab, and it's exactly the same as shown underneath (51/705)
Oh yes of course it's the same thing for me, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly so I'll give a fictional example to make it clearer :
Trusted nodes shows : 2/415
In the network tab, only User A and User B show up as online.

If I start a direct chat with User C from the network tab it obviously shows him as offline.
However if I start a distant chat with User C from the people's tab, it shows User C is online.

User C sometimes shows up as online in the network tab so I know he did add my certificate back. User C is someone who is online 24h 7/7 yet sometimes I can connect directly to him and other times I can leave Retroshare online for hours without ever connecting directly to him (doesn't add 1 to trusted nodes, doesn't show as online in the network tab).

Since User C is online pretty much constantly, it makes it easy to see this but I have the same problem with other users.
I'm experiencing this problem randomly. When it seems to be working properly, trusted nodes is usually between 15/415 and 20/415. When I have the issue described above, I'm usually between 5/415 and 10/415.

Still experiencing that issue by the way. I have no idea what could be causing it though so I'm most likely gonna stop trying to figure it out. It's not that big of a deal after all since it still works decently even if I'm only connected to a few users.

Thank you.
Aha, is "User C" a direct peer of you?
What do you mean by that ? I added his certificate and he added mine too. However if I do right click on him > profile details > options > use as direct source when available is not checked. Is that what you mean ? I think everyone I've added has that checkbox unchecked because when I added others' certificates, I left every setting on default.
(04 Nov 2020, 00:58 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I added his certificate and he added mine too.
Yes, this is what I mean.

I wonder if what you are seeing is related to the "Network Mode", for example, when "Dark Net: None" is chosen for both and/or External port is not forwarded. Or a bug 😁 Not sure. The best way would be to ask the developers.

(04 Nov 2020, 00:58 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: [ -> ]profile details > options > use as direct source when available is not checked.
Yes, this is the correct security/privacy setting.