Like Ra's Naughty Forum
RetroShare - Printable Version

+- Like Ra's Naughty Forum (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technical section (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Technical-section)
+--- Forum: Various technical topics (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Various-technical-topics)
+--- Thread: RetroShare (/Thread-RetroShare)

RE: RetroShare - omgJTL - 02 May 2021

(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: The long random garbled names are actually the hashes or fingerprints of the files. When a download is completed Retroshare will move the file to the correct location and with the right file name.
If Tor where the problem Retroshare would not be able to connect to anyone at all and you would not be able to search nor download from anyone. As you can do so, Tor must be working OK.
Makes sense!

(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: Is the Incoming folder set read only in your OS by any chance?
Or is it in a location you do not have permission to write to?
Try creating a file, such as a text file, in your Incoming folder. Can you do so?.
Yeah, I made sure read only is unchecked. I can create and delete files in those folders.

(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: Another possibility is that the downloading phase may be complete but verifying the file matches the correct hash may not be complete.
Until that last check is completed a download will sit in the queue with 0 bytes remaining to download.
If you right click on any of the files in the queue you'll see an option Clear Completed. Select that. If the whole process is finished Retroshare will then remove the file from the list. Until it allows that, the process is not completed.
For some files I've had to leave it running for a while to do that final check. It isn't always obvious. The size remaining is only part of the picture.
The Progress/Availability bar colours are Green = done. Red = active. Yellow = needs checking Grey = outstanding.
A fully downloaded and checked file will have a completely blue bar and Complete in the Status column.
When I Clear Completed, the completed files disappear from the list - and they are no longer highlighted in red in my friend's files. I will keep some on the list for the night just to see what happens though.

When I pick "see preview" before download starts I get this:
Quote:Can't create link for file C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/RetroShare/HID06_/Partials/411b7746e05acabe96b66d63cccbd644c54b5f08.
(Which makes sense I guess)

This is what I get if I try to see preview after download started:
Quote:Could not delete preview file
C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/RetroShare/HID06_/Partials/Shayna ~ Dream Girl.mp3
Try it again?
It triggers downloading a preview in Partials directory and so far it's the only way I can download (only music and vids though, there's no preview for images). So it's not too bad I guess, just annoying. But any large scale downloads are sort of out of the question for now ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

I really appreciate all the help, thanks a lot!

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 02 May 2021

(02 May 2021, 21:58 )omgJTL Wrote:
(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: The long random garbled names are actually the hashes or fingerprints of the files. When a download is completed Retroshare will move the file to the correct location and with the right file name.
If Tor where the problem Retroshare would not be able to connect to anyone at all and you would not be able to search nor download from anyone. As you can do so, Tor must be working OK.
Makes sense!

(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: Is the Incoming folder set read only in your OS by any chance?
Or is it in a location you do not have permission to write to?
Try creating a file, such as a text file, in your Incoming folder. Can you do so?.
Yeah, I made sure read only is unchecked. I can create and delete files in those folders.

(02 May 2021, 20:33 )cjtl Wrote: Another possibility is that the downloading phase may be complete but verifying the file matches the correct hash may not be complete.
Until that last check is completed a download will sit in the queue with 0 bytes remaining to download.
If you right click on any of the files in the queue you'll see an option Clear Completed. Select that. If the whole process is finished Retroshare will then remove the file from the list. Until it allows that, the process is not completed.
For some files I've had to leave it running for a while to do that final check. It isn't always obvious. The size remaining is only part of the picture.
The Progress/Availability bar colours are Green = done. Red = active. Yellow = needs checking Grey = outstanding.
A fully downloaded and checked file will have a completely blue bar and Complete in the Status column.
When I Clear Completed, the completed files disappear from the list - and they are no longer highlighted in red in my friend's files. I will keep some on the list for the night just to see what happens though.

When I pick "see preview" before download starts I get this:
Quote:Can't create link for file C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/RetroShare/HID06_/Partials/411b7746e05acabe96b66d63cccbd644c54b5f08.
(Which makes sense I guess)

This is what I get if I try to see preview after download started:
Quote:Could not delete preview file
C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/RetroShare/HID06_/Partials/Shayna ~ Dream Girl.mp3
Try it again?
It triggers downloading a preview in Partials directory and so far it's the only way I can download (only music and vids though, there's no preview for images). So it's not too bad I guess, just annoying. But any large scale downloads are sort of out of the question for now ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

I really appreciate all the help, thanks a lot!

The way audio and video files work means you can skip about in them sometimes when they are corrupt or, in this case, incomplete. That's why you can preview a video if it's downloaded the some of the beginning of the file. If it's downloading it in segments, as with Retroshare and bittorrent, then you can skip about the file and if you manage to hit an area it can decode it might play.
Once or twice when previewing partially downloaded audio files I have got a burst of noise, so if you're using headphones keep that in mind. It could in theory happen to video files too but I don't remember it happening to me.
Images tend to be different. At best you'll get part of a picture, with the missing part appearing blank/black, or maybe messed up, with weird patterns, colours all screwed up in a blocky pattern. It depends on how much is downloaded and if it can cope with decoding what little it has. The compression used in images and video frames uses blocks, that's why you may see the corruption as odd looking blocks as it need the whole block to decode it properly.

If Retroshare cleans the list of those files when you use the Clear Completed command then they really are downloaded, checked and ready for use, well as far as it is concerned.

I've been looking around and it seems there isn't a lot of troubleshooting information for Retroshare.

In Windows try searching for that mp3 file name. Does it find the file?
And if so, does the folder it is inside correspond with the folder you have selected for your Incoming files?

RE: RetroShare - omgJTL - 03 May 2021

Quote:Once or twice when previewing partially downloaded audio files I have got a burst of noise, so if you're using headphones keep that in mind. It could in theory happen to video files too but I don't remember it happening to me.

Thanks!

Yes, I searched my drives and there's nothing. Really confusing.ย And as you say, there's not much troubleshooting for RS ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 03 May 2021

(03 May 2021, 22:00 )omgJTL Wrote:
Quote:Once or twice when previewing partially downloaded audio files I have got a burst of noise, so if you're using headphones keep that in mind. It could in theory happen to video files too but I don't remember it happening to me.

Thanks!

Yes, I searched my drives and there's nothing. Really confusing.ย And as you say, there's not much troubleshooting for RS ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

I don't think the web based forum has been used for some time now.

I think they prefer to use the forum on Retroshare itself. It's called Retroshare Bugs
The Retroshare link to it is retroshare://forum?name=Retroshare%20Bugs&id=95de1451952d8c38cb1cdfdb85eed986

Do you have that forum in your forums list? Looking at the last post date it is active.
The description says:
"Fill bug reports here, or discuss them here. When a bug is determined, it's a good idea to post it in the github issue system, so that we can keep track of it."

If you haven't got that forum listed then you might want to go make a post directly on their github issue tracker at https://github.com/RetroShare/RetroShare/issues
Usually things like forums, channels and boards don't immediately show up for very new users. It takes time for Retroshare to find them on the network and download the lists of available forums, channels and boards. It can also depend on what your friends and their friends have access to.

It took me at least a few days to find any forums, channels or boards. I ended up picking out people with high reputation scores and hitting the Invite button and hope they would add me. Naturally, not everyone responded, but it worked out OK in the end. There's also some Retroshare certificate exchange forums too, but I didn't have access to them at the time. I'm still a newbie myself really. It can be an odd program to use.

I hope they can figure out what the problem is. If they do, would you mind posting the answer back here just in case anyone else has the same problem but doesn't have access to the forums on Retroshare yet?

RE: RetroShare - omgJTL - 04 May 2021

Nice one!

I've found the bugs forum and I'll post my issue there sometime today. As soon as I have solution I'll post it here, no problem at all.

Quote:It took me at least a few days to find any forums, channels or boards. I ended up picking out people with high reputation scores and hitting the Invite button and hope they would add me. Naturally, not everyone responded, but it worked out OK in the end.
Sounds like a good strategy ๐Ÿ˜Š First couple of days were pretty underwhelming but copy-pasting all those certs paid off.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 04 May 2021

(04 May 2021, 15:06 )omgJTL Wrote: copy-pasting all those certs paid off.
My point exactly! ๐Ÿ˜‰

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 04 May 2021

(04 May 2021, 15:06 )omgJTL Wrote: Nice one!

I've found the bugs forum and I'll post my issue there sometime today. As soon as I have solution I'll post it here, no problem at all.

Quote:It took me at least a few days to find any forums, channels or boards. I ended up picking out people with high reputation scores and hitting the Invite button and hope they would add me. Naturally, not everyone responded, but it worked out OK in the end.
Sounds like a good strategy ๐Ÿ˜Š First couple of days were pretty underwhelming but copy-pasting all those certs paid off.

Adding the certs from this forum definitely helps, but I was also curious. I wanted to see what else was out there. So I branched out by sending invites. It really depends on your interests and what you want to get out of Retroshare and the community at large as well as what you can give back to them.
From what I've read it can be a trade off. Some recommend keeping a tight close knit group of friends with the same interests, while others may want a more general purpose experience and have a few interests and a more varied group of friends. One way to build a community in Retroshare is with a Circle. If you look in the People section, click the Circles tab and it will show you all the Circles you have seen so far.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 04 May 2021

(04 May 2021, 19:50 )cjtl Wrote: From what I've read it can be a trade off. Some recommend
I think it depends on your goals and the goals of your peers.

Some use RS to keep connected with people they know personally. And they are up 24x7. In this case keeping your circle tight is reasonable and desired.

Some use RS as a communication medium for their workgroup - same as above.

But the most uses RS as an extended alternative to torrents and eMule/eDonkey - file sharing. For this purpose it's better to have as many peers as possible.

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 05 May 2021

(04 May 2021, 22:01 )Likeย Ra Wrote:
(04 May 2021, 19:50 )cjtl Wrote: From what I've read it can be a trade off. Some recommend
I think it depends on your goals and the goals of your peers.

Some use RS to keep connected with people they know personally. And they are up 24x7. In this case keeping your circle tight is reasonable and desired.

Some use RS as a communication medium for their workgroup - same as above.

But the most uses RS as an extended alternative to torrents and eMule/eDonkey - file sharing. For this purpose it's better to have as many peers as possible.

That makes sense. I thought the general purpose group, the latter, would be more resilient too. Plus it would take the bandwidth strain off a single node linking two larger groups.
It really is an interesting piece of software.
Have you ever used Retroshare with I2P? I don't see many people advertising they use I2P. I don't really know anything about it myself, so I was just curious if you had tried it.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 05 May 2021

(05 May 2021, 02:16 )cjtl Wrote: Have you ever used Retroshare with I2P?
Yes, i2pd is running on my NAS and RS is saying that it sees it. But the BOB tunnel does not come up. So, I'm not sure if it's working or not. Need to dive deeper into it...