Like Ra's Naughty Forum
RetroShare - Printable Version

+- Like Ra's Naughty Forum (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technical section (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Technical-section)
+--- Forum: Various technical topics (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Various-technical-topics)
+--- Thread: RetroShare (/Thread-RetroShare)

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 29 Apr 2021

(28 Apr 2021, 12:11 )Penguin Wrote:
(28 Apr 2021, 11:58 )krinlyc Wrote:
(28 Apr 2021, 11:43 )Penguin Wrote: In @GCRhoads tutorial, on my Windows 7 system, I get to the step where Tor is supposed to configure.
The Retroshare Window reads "Setting up Tor ..."
The whole thing stalls out right there.
Tor bootstrap status never gets past 0%.
I have to manually kill the tor process to back out.
This is also the point at which the online docs fail me: I never get to the point where I'm asked to sign my certificate.
At the moment, this looks like a hopeless mess. Unless and unless I can obtain some clear guidance about how this actually does work, I'm going to sideline it. Life is too short to spend most of it banging one's head against cement walls.
You connect a windows 7 direct to the internet?
No.

I'm running Windows firewall on my client and a pfSense hardware firewall between my entire trusted network and my cable modem.

Windows firewall has been configured to pass outbound traffic from retroshare.exe and tor.exe in the Retroshare\ folder on my desktop.

Last time I checked, my pfSense logs didn't indicate it had blocked anything from my Windows client's internal IP.  All blocked packets from the last 2 minutes' traffic originate from external IPS.

I'm not sure which guide you mean. I followed some of the guide at the very beginning of this topic, but mainly I followed the Retroshare manual. The main difference for me is I'm running plain Tor on Linux and not the Tor Browser Bundle.
I had Tor stuck at 0%. It turned out that I had forgotten to unblock that computer on my router from a previous experiment.
After I granted it access it connected OK. I usually test Tor via Firefox or Chromium.
Recently I have experienced Tor being stuck at 95%. I have no idea why that is happening as another PC with a slightly older version of Tor connects every time.

I've been told that Tor can punch through more than one layer of NAT, so you shouldn't need to forward ports unless you are running a Tor relay. Naturally, firewalls will stop Tor. Normally I would suggest checking if a web browser could access the internet OK, but in light of the OS used I really can't recommend that.
I'm sorry I can't offer any help. Perhaps there's a forum out there which covers Tor? Maybe you'll find the answer on https://tor.stackexchange.com/

RE: RetroShare - coomerguy69 - 02 May 2021

ABDksDIHYWUHSez8idm3x7JTAxSPnBS1+raOxjv0xq45yw3v9i9NrwELY29vbWVyZ3V5NjmQRAAAAAImlm9uZ29iNnNocjRkcHRz
dWxubGhqamxza3NnbXk3dGF4cG5vY2RoNHN0YmtzN2R5ZGc2bnU0Y3FkLm9uaW9ukwYBAAB/Hv4EA/pHrw==

RE: RetroShare - omgJTL - 02 May 2021

I have a strange problem: I've downloaded few files but they don't show up in my incoming folder. Progress bars are 100% full and they are supposedly completed. Still, RS is really fun to use, insane amount of stuff to be found!

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 02 May 2021

(02 May 2021, 09:14 )omgJTL Wrote: I have a strange problem: I've downloaded few files but they don't show up in my incoming folder. Progress bars are 100% full and they are supposedly completed. Still, RS is really fun to use, insane amount of stuff to be found!
Incoming? I only do have a Downloads which resides inside my retroshare hid***** folder.

You also can look into your Partials folder. This one should also be inside your hid**** folder.

krin

(02 May 2021, 09:52 )krinlyc Wrote:
(02 May 2021, 09:14 )omgJTL Wrote: I have a strange problem: I've downloaded few files but they don't show up in my incoming folder. Progress bars are 100% full and they are supposedly completed. Still, RS is really fun to use, insane amount of stuff to be found!
Incoming? I only do have a Downloads which resides inside my retroshare hid***** folder.
You also can look into your Partials folder. This one should also be inside your hid**** folder.
krin

I set it up exactly this way, and even though files are "downloaded" in RS I still don't see them in none of these folders. In fact I don't think they're anywhere on my hd, when I right click on them in RS Downloads to open nothing happens.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 02 May 2021

(02 May 2021, 09:14 )omgJTL Wrote: I've downloaded few files but they don't show up in my incoming folder. Progress bars are 100% full and they are supposedly completed. Still, RS is really fun to use, insane amount of stuff to be found!
Right click on the file name -> Open folder
(02 May 2021, 10:12 )omgJTL Wrote: when I right click on them in RS Downloads to open nothing happens.

What????

Preferences -> Files -> Incoming Directory

Yep, I did set up Incoming Directory (and tried many different locations, same result). When I right click on downloaded file, the Incoming Directory pops up but it's completely empty. No hidden files, nothing.

When I try to download multiple folders I get these folders and folder structure but, yes, there are no files.

Is it possible that Tor is messing with download? I'm trying to google a solution, but can't seem to find any answers 😟 I've made an exception for tor.exe and tor-gencert.exe in firewall, no changes.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 02 May 2021

Is the downloading status "Complete"?

Anything in the "Partials" directory: Preference -> Files -> Partials directory

Yes, status is complete. When I check details "remaining" stands at 0 bytes.

Partials: yes, I do get them but they are just strings of letters and numbers.

[Edit]
OK, quick update. If I click preview while the stuff is downloading, the downloaded file appears in Partials (next to its string). It doesn't work for images though. Really confusing...

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 02 May 2021

(02 May 2021, 17:46 )omgJTL Wrote: Yes, status is complete. When I check details "remaining" stands at 0 bytes.

Partials: yes, I do get them but they are just strings of letters and numbers.

[Edit]
OK, quick update. If I click preview while the stuff is downloading, the downloaded file appears in Partials (next to its string). It doesn't work for images though. Really confusing...

The long random garbled names are actually the hashes or fingerprints of the files. When a download is completed Retroshare will move the file to the correct location and with the right file name.

If Tor where the problem Retroshare would not be able to connect to anyone at all and you would not be able to search nor download from anyone. As you can do so, Tor must be working OK.

Is the Incoming folder set read only in your OS by any chance?
Or is it in a location you do not have permission to write to?
Try creating a file, such as a text file, in your Incoming folder. Can you do so?

Another possibility is that the downloading phase may be complete but verifying the file matches the correct hash may not be complete.
Until that last check is completed a download will sit in the queue with 0 bytes remaining to download.
If you right click on any of the files in the queue you'll see an option Clear Completed. Select that. If the whole process is finished Retroshare will then remove the file from the list. Until it allows that, the process is not completed.
For some files I've had to leave it running for a while to do that final check. It isn't always obvious. The size remaining is only part of the picture.
The Progress/Availability bar colours are Green = done. Red = active. Yellow = needs checking Grey = outstanding.
A fully downloaded and checked file will have a completely blue bar and Complete in the Status column.