Like Ra's Naughty Forum
RetroShare - Printable Version

+- Like Ra's Naughty Forum (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technical section (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Technical-section)
+--- Forum: Various technical topics (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Various-technical-topics)
+--- Thread: RetroShare (/Thread-RetroShare)

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 24 Apr 2021

(23 Apr 2021, 18:17 )cjtl Wrote:
(23 Apr 2021, 06:02 )krinlyc Wrote:
(23 Apr 2021, 05:00 )cjtl Wrote:
(22 Apr 2021, 16:43 )krinlyc Wrote: Hi

someone using retroshare-service (on linux )?

krin

No, but I have read a little about it. I initially wanted to run the ARM server version on a headless Pi. But in my tests with the GUI version on a Pi it crashed so much I gave up. I'm now running the GUI version on an x86_64 desktop Linux PC. The difference in stability is amazing! It still has a few bugs in the GUI itself which can crash it, but compared to the ARM version it really is far more stable. I don't know if the terrible instability was caused by retroshare itself, Tor or the old system libraries used by Raspberry Pi OS. It was a fully up to date OS, but as with Debian, they aren't the latest versions of libraries. Who knows, maybe it was a combination of all of those.

Regarding running a headless retroshare server, the little I know is what's written in the changelog notes https://retroshareteam.wordpress.com/2021/03/15/release-notes-for-v0-6-6/   Look at section "10 – End of retroshare-nogui (don’t panic!)" The web interface doesn't allow you to initially setup retroshare yet, so you'll need to do an initial install with the GUI verison and then copy the ~/.retroshare folder across. It's all mentioned in the changelog notes along with where to find the web browser based interface for the headless server.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Thank you very much. I was missing information about that "new" service.

It's without tor - an absolut no go.

So I won't use it until it's working with tor.

The gui I use does crash so often, it's annoying. I have had a version on my odroid wich was very stable. 

Now I am on a rasberry and the retroshare gui  is not reliable 😟

krin

I'm not sure I follow when you say "It's without tor - an absolut no go."
I would have assumed that when you do the initial setup through the GUI you would configure Tor then. Once you complete the initial setup you copy the whole configuration in the ~/.retroshare folder to the headless server.

I gave up running the ARM build on a Pi. It might run for a day or so if I was very, very lucky, but more often than not it would frequently crash just after starting retroshare.
I would have liked to try a different OS on the Pi to see if it was caused by a system library, but finding a more up to date OS which also had a build of retroshare proved difficult. I would have had to build retroshare myself from source, but that would have been beyond my skill and knowledge and rather time consuming.

I don't think it was memory related. I never saw the entire system use more that around 500mb RAM and I didn't see any out of memory warnings or errors logged in the system journal.

Another huge difference I've noticed between the Pi version and running it on a PC is network stability.
On the Pi retroshare would frequently kill the network. It really hammered upload and download speeds for everything else. It really slowed everything down. I even tried using QoS but it didn't help.
I can run the PC version of retroshare and it's totally different. The network traffic is much smoother and I'm not using QoS.
I wonder if it's due to improvements in the newer version of Tor and/or the kernel compared to the older version of Tor and kernel in Raspberry Pi OS? Maybe the PC hardware is just more reliable or better able to cope with the type of traffic from Tor and retroshare than the Pi for that workload?

There are still some bugs in retroshare though. If I click on some elements of the GUI it will crash. Other than that, it's so much more stable on the PC than the Pi.

I have read that article again. Okay it is possible to get the service up and running with tor. But it's a bit complicated. I ll give it a try.

krin

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 25 Apr 2021

Okay. I am stuck. It seems that I can't change from automatic tor to manual tor with my old existing profile.

f****

krin

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 25 Apr 2021

(25 Apr 2021, 14:23 )krinlyc Wrote: Okay. I am stuck. It seems that I can't change from automatic tor to manual tor with my old existing profile.
f****
krin
Okay - Now I tried - export profile and export friendlist.
I created (sigh) a new retroshare profile with adavanced option. During that dialog I imported my old profile.
After the program was online I imported friendlist. It seems to work.

I have connection to one of my 218 friends. I hope that gets better.

I lost all partials and my download list. ( Not lost -they stick to that other profile 😟 )

krin

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 25 Apr 2021

(25 Apr 2021, 16:03 )krinlyc Wrote:
(25 Apr 2021, 14:23 )krinlyc Wrote: Okay. I am stuck. It seems that I can't change from automatic tor to manual tor with my old existing profile.
f****
krin
Okay - Now I tried - export profile and export friendlist.
I created (sigh) a new retroshare profile with adavanced option. During that dialog I imported my old profile.
After the program was online I imported friendlist. It seems to work.

I have connection to one of my 218 friends. I hope that gets better.

I lost all partials and my download list. ( Not lost -they stick to that other profile 😟 )

krin

Regarding the downloads and partials, it is possible to import them but it's a pain in the neck. This is how I did it using the proper retroshare GUI.

First copy your old partials folder somewhere safe.
The file names used in the partials folder are the hash values. You need to do an advanced search for that hash value and add it to the download queue. Pause the downloads as you do so.
Then copy all the partials into the new retroshare partials folder.
Next you have to tell retroshare to Force Check each file.
Finally, unpause the downloads.

I forget where I found those instructions, but that's how I migrated my retroshare folder from my Pi to my PC. I've no idea if you can do it through the webui as I've not used it. Hopefully it has the same functions as the full GUI.

RE: RetroShare - Penguin - 28 Apr 2021

In @GCRhoads tutorial, on my Windows 7 system, I get to the step where Tor is supposed to configure.  Right between steps 6 and 7.

The Retroshare Window reads "Setting up Tor ..."

The whole thing stalls out right there.

Tor bootstrap status never gets past 0%.

I have to manually kill the tor process to back out.

This is also the point at which the online docs fail me: I never get to the point where I'm asked to sign my certificate.

At the moment, this looks like a hopeless mess.  Unless and unless I can obtain some clear guidance about how this actually does work, I'm going to sideline it.  Life is too short to spend most of it banging one's head against cement walls.

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 28 Apr 2021

(28 Apr 2021, 11:43 )Penguin Wrote: In @GCRhoads tutorial, on my Windows 7 system, I get to the step where Tor is supposed to configure.
This is also the point at which the online docs fail me: I never get to the point where I'm asked to sign my certificate.
At the moment, this looks like a hopeless mess. Unless and unless I can obtain some clear guidance about how this actually does work, I'm going to sideline it. Life is too short to spend most of it banging one's head against cement walls.
You connect a windows 7 direct to the internet?

RE: RetroShare - Penguin - 28 Apr 2021

(28 Apr 2021, 11:58 )krinlyc Wrote:
(28 Apr 2021, 11:43 )Penguin Wrote: In @GCRhoads tutorial, on my Windows 7 system, I get to the step where Tor is supposed to configure.
At the moment, this looks like a hopeless mess. Unless and unless I can obtain some clear guidance about how this actually does work, I'm going to sideline it. Life is too short to spend most of it banging one's head against cement walls.
You connect a windows 7 direct to the internet?
No.

I'm running Windows firewall on my client and a pfSense hardware firewall between my entire trusted network and my cable modem.

Windows firewall has been configured to pass outbound traffic from retroshare.exe and tor.exe in the Retroshare\ folder on my desktop.

Last time I checked, my pfSense logs didn't indicate it had blocked anything from my Windows client's internal IP. All blocked packets from the last 2 minutes' traffic originate from external IPS.

RE: RetroShare - krinlyc - 28 Apr 2021

SO I tested the webgui and retro-service.

Well for me it's not an alternative. The webgui is far from hmmm how do I say it the polite way...

Right now I run the "normal" version. And since I "converted" the old profile to an oldnew one it seems the program runs more stable.

--
At the moment I do have much trouble with my usb stick. On windows it functions perfectly. On my raspberry it throws one error after the other 😢

krin

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 28 Apr 2021

(28 Apr 2021, 20:10 )krinlyc Wrote: raspberry
It's obviously for a separate thread, but I still can't find any practical use for Raspberry Pi. Except for "playing with stuff". Also very important, but has nothing to do with practical use.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 29 Apr 2021

(28 Apr 2021, 21:06 )Like Ra Wrote: I still can't find any practical use for Raspberry Pi. Except for "playing with stuff". Also very important, but has nothing to do with practical use.
(28 Apr 2021, 20:10 )krinlyc Wrote: On my raspberry it throws one error after the other

https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Thread-Various-useful-things-on-Ali-eBay-whatever?pid=52172#pid52172