Like Ra's Naughty Forum
RetroShare - Printable Version

+- Like Ra's Naughty Forum (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technical section (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Technical-section)
+--- Forum: Various technical topics (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Various-technical-topics)
+--- Thread: RetroShare (/Thread-RetroShare)

RE: RetroShare - Blackshiinobi - 01 Mar 2021

(01 Mar 2021, 00:26 )Like Ra Wrote: Aha, I see. I can't comment on Windows, though, since I run RS + Tor + i2p + torrent in a virtual Linux environment on a NAS. All apps are separate from each other.

OK, Thank you for trying to help anyways, I guess I'll just keep lurking in 8kun and snatch files that pop up that I like in there.
Fuck retroshare, I tried to make this work all day, holy shit I'm tired.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 01 Mar 2021

(01 Mar 2021, 00:30 )Blackshiinobi Wrote: Fuck retroshare, I tried to make this work all day, holy shit I'm tired.
Yes, RS can be very frustrating. I would still suggest to check if/how Tor is working. If there are any errors in the logs (no idea where the logs can be, though...). Other things to try

- install Tor separately, run it on a different port from the RS one and point RS to that new port.
- switch to the "Public mode" with DHT and Discovery on, just to check if there is any difference

RE: RetroShare certs - SissyBimbo555 - 17 Mar 2021

Two days ago, my RetroShare stopped, if that's the case, you need to delete the state file from Tor/Data

This text was given by the log:
[NOTICE] We tried for 15 seconds to connect to '[scrubbed]' using exit
Your Guard [xxxxx] is failing to carry an extremely large amount of streams on its circuits. This could indicate a route manipulation attack, network overload, bad local network connectivity, or a bug.

Everything works now

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 21 Mar 2021

Hi,

I'm a Retroshare newbie. After reading the guides and docs, I've managed to get it up and running, but it seems prone to crashing or occasionally being unable to connect.

Is Retroshare usually prone to crashing?

I'm running it on a spare Raspberry Pi 400 with a fresh install of RPi OS, all updated. I've had a few glitched, such as Retroshare crashing maybe once or twice a day, or having to reboot to get Retroshare to reconnect.

I was wondering if it could be the older version of Tor from the RPi OS repos that could be causing some of the issues, but I've not noticed anything unusual in the system journal regarding Tor. In the past when running Debian on a PC, I had better results (in a different application, I wasn't using Retroshare back then) using the newer build provided by the Tor project. Unfortunately, the Tor project doesn't provide an ARM build so I'm stuck with what I have. I don't feel confident enough to build Tor from source.

Other than running Retroshare from a terminal to capture any errors or warnings, does anyone have any other suggestions, or is this simply how Retroshare is?

Thanks.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 21 Mar 2021

(21 Mar 2021, 23:19 )cjtl Wrote: Is Retroshare usually prone to crashing?
I'm running 0.6.5 in a container on QNAP NAS. It crashes indeed from time to time, usually if left alone for several days.
(21 Mar 2021, 23:19 )cjtl Wrote: I'm running it on a spare Raspberry Pi 400
I think there might be not enough memory - RS eats everything.

I hope 0.6.6 will have a better memory management (still no package for Ubuntu).

RE: RetroShare - cjtl - 22 Mar 2021

(21 Mar 2021, 23:47 )Like Ra Wrote:
(21 Mar 2021, 23:19 )cjtl Wrote: Is Retroshare usually prone to crashing?
I'm running 0.6.5 in a container on QNAP NAS. It crashes indeed from time to time, usually if left alone for several days.
(21 Mar 2021, 23:19 )cjtl Wrote: I'm running it on a spare Raspberry Pi 400
I think there might be not enough memory - RS eats everything.

I hope 0.6.6 will have a better memory management (still no package for Ubuntu).

I'm not noticing any OOM warnings of any kind in the system journal. I've checked htop every so often and it doesn't seem to indicate any excessive memory usage. I'll try running it from a terminal, see if I can get any more info out of it. I do have an 8GB model 4b I could use, or failing that use a PC. In your experience, would it need more than 8GB of RAM, bearing in mind I've not changed any of the settings to increase the number of downloads?

Thanks.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 22 Mar 2021

Hm... I think 8GB should be enough for a couple of days. I have 16GB in my NAS, and it still crashes.

(22 Mar 2021, 02:31 )Like Ra Wrote: Hm... I think 8GB should be enough for a couple of days. I have 16GB in my NAS, and it still crashes.

Have you bumped up the number of downloads or is it still as default? I take it you've got a lot of traffic going through retroshare?
I've been watching htop and the entire system, OS and retroshare, isn't even using 1gb while downloading files. The rest of the RAM is being used by the OS for cache. I wonder if there's a memory leak in retroshare if it's eating that much RAM. I'll see how it goes.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 22 Mar 2021

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
571 likera 24 4 12.4g 9.2g 13524 S 4.3 59.0 480:44.86 retroshare

9.2GB resident memory.

It just crashed while idle. I've got the stack trace in the terminal so I'll pop on over to their github page tomorrow and see if anyone else is having this problem.
Thanks again.