Like Ra's Naughty Forum
RetroShare - Printable Version

+- Like Ra's Naughty Forum (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technical section (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Technical-section)
+--- Forum: Various technical topics (https://www.likera.com/forum/mybb/Forum-Various-technical-topics)
+--- Thread: RetroShare (/Thread-RetroShare)

RE: RetroShare - AngelOfDeath - 02 Nov 2020

Is it normal behaviour for Retroshare to connect only to some of my online trusted nodes rather than all of them ?

Sometimes I can be connected to someone as a trusted node just fine and another time I won't be connected to this same trusted node in spite of him being online which I can see if I try to start a private conversation with him.

I'm usually connected to anywhere between 5 and 20 trusted nodes. Not being able to connect to every online trusted node happens even when I'm only connected to 5 so I don't think it's related to my connection speed.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 03 Nov 2020

(02 Nov 2020, 23:20 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: Is it normal behaviour for Retroshare to connect only to some of my online trusted nodes rather than all of them ?
How do you check if you are connected to someone?

(02 Nov 2020, 23:20 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: I'm usually connected to anywhere between 5 and 20 trusted nodes.
How many "friends" have you got? Currently I'm connected to 45 out of 704.

RE: RetroShare - AngelOfDeath - 03 Nov 2020

Like Ra Wrote:How do you check if you are connected to someone?

In the network tab, if someone's status is set either to online, busy or away (or I could just tick the checkbox "Hide offline friends")

Like Ra Wrote:How many "friends" have you got? Currently I'm connected to 45 out of 704.

Currently I'm connected to 10 out of 414.

Edit : ok I saw this post a few pages back
rekt123 Wrote:Exited my Retroshare and reopened it, now it show: setting up tor... but it is stuck on 90%, for some reason it fixes itself when the tor folder is removed, any ideas what's causing this?

I'd been having that same problem randomly for a while except if I waited long enough, it would eventually go to 100% but it sometimes took as long as half an hour.

So I did the same as him, I deleted the tor folder and since I've done that, it seems I'm connecting to everyone I should be connected to. Maybe it's too early to say but if I don't post again, consider my problem solved.

Also, tor should be restarted from time to time as it may stuck to a very non-optimal path.

(03 Nov 2020, 09:04 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: if I don't post again
You can always post in other threads 😉

New "unstable" RS version is out: 6.9.5.2133 (just got it via Ubunty PPA)

(03 Nov 2020, 09:04 )AngelOfDeath Wrote:
Quote:How do you check if you are connected to someone?
In the network tab, if someone's status is set either to online, busy or away (or I could just tick the checkbox "Hide offline friends")
I counted the users shown online in the Network tab, and it's exactly the same as shown underneath (51/705)

RE: RetroShare - AngelOfDeath - 04 Nov 2020

Oh yes of course it's the same thing for me, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly so I'll give a fictional example to make it clearer :
Trusted nodes shows : 2/415
In the network tab, only User A and User B show up as online.

If I start a direct chat with User C from the network tab it obviously shows him as offline.
However if I start a distant chat with User C from the people's tab, it shows User C is online.

User C sometimes shows up as online in the network tab so I know he did add my certificate back. User C is someone who is online 24h 7/7 yet sometimes I can connect directly to him and other times I can leave Retroshare online for hours without ever connecting directly to him (doesn't add 1 to trusted nodes, doesn't show as online in the network tab).

Since User C is online pretty much constantly, it makes it easy to see this but I have the same problem with other users.
I'm experiencing this problem randomly. When it seems to be working properly, trusted nodes is usually between 15/415 and 20/415. When I have the issue described above, I'm usually between 5/415 and 10/415.

Still experiencing that issue by the way. I have no idea what could be causing it though so I'm most likely gonna stop trying to figure it out. It's not that big of a deal after all since it still works decently even if I'm only connected to a few users.

Thank you.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 04 Nov 2020

Aha, is "User C" a direct peer of you?

RE: RetroShare - AngelOfDeath - 04 Nov 2020

What do you mean by that ? I added his certificate and he added mine too. However if I do right click on him > profile details > options > use as direct source when available is not checked. Is that what you mean ? I think everyone I've added has that checkbox unchecked because when I added others' certificates, I left every setting on default.

RE: RetroShare - Like Ra - 04 Nov 2020

(04 Nov 2020, 00:58 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: I added his certificate and he added mine too.
Yes, this is what I mean.

I wonder if what you are seeing is related to the "Network Mode", for example, when "Dark Net: None" is chosen for both and/or External port is not forwarded. Or a bug 😁 Not sure. The best way would be to ask the developers.

(04 Nov 2020, 00:58 )AngelOfDeath Wrote: profile details > options > use as direct source when available is not checked.
Yes, this is the correct security/privacy setting.