Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Mannequins for practice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I want to start learning Shibari but it's hard to practice on yourself. I have seen professional mannequins but they are expensive and awkward to transport.

I tried stuffing my hoodie with undergarmets and tying it which was surprisingly good, but I need something more robust. Pool noodles, PVC pipes maybe?

[attachment=51000][attachment=51041][attachment=51042]
Pool noodles would probably work for arms and legs. You could also use one in the center to mimic the resistance of a humans back or neck. For a more consistent shape try finding a one piece swimsuit with sleeves.
(02 Oct 2021, 11:55 )AllieXBow Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I want to start learning Shibari but it's hard to practice on yourself. I have seen professional mannequins but they are expensive and awkward to transport.

I tried stuffing my hoodie with undergarmets and tying it which was surprisingly good, but I need something more robust. Pool noodles, PVC pipes maybe?

For some reason I find those images ever so slightly disturbing - I think it's probably the 'lifeless bodies'. Almost certainly the same reason I find dolls and mannequins weird and unsettling.

On the plus side, this is a very ingenious way to practise your knots, although my personal preference is always to use the rope on myself  😁

MJ
(03 Oct 2021, 09:03 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]
(02 Oct 2021, 11:55 )AllieXBow Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

For some reason I find those images ever so slightly disturbing - I think it's probably the 'lifeless bodies'. Almost certainly the same reason I find dolls and mannequins weird and unsettling.

On the plus side, this is a very ingenious way to practise your knots, although my personal preference is always to use the rope on myself  😁

MJ
Wow I know right. I actually found it really weird too. I have that "Uncanny" vibe. I honestly did get quite a bit grossed out. Especially when handling and moving it, it feels like a lifeless body. It even weighed quite heavy, and felt real too. Sorry for the disturbing details. It looked quite real, TBH. It was very weird as those clothes I wear myself. It was like seeing myself in 3rd person. 

Anyways, I do self tie, but I want to try takate kote, box tie etc, and other stuff you can't do in yourself. You can make a functional tie in SB, but I want to learn proper techniques for partners later. 

Feels so different tying some object other than my own body
Yes, I think mannequins are the way to go, just like in doctors' education. You do not learn how to do surgery in yourself, do you? 🙀 Though, it does look gross even on mannequins 😆
Random idea here, you could use one of those small wooden art mannequins + thick thread to reduce space and costs to a minimum. It would be great for learning, visualizing, and practicing new knots.