Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Why is public nudity prohibited?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why is public nudity prohibited?

Answering to this question should theoretically help answering questions like:"Is it normal to wear xxx? Is it OK if I YYY?".

Is there anything in the Bible, Quran, Tora, Testimonies, the Tables of the Law, scrolls, stones, annals, constitutions?
Most people, females especially, can’t stand seeing people nude in public.
Not sure why, maybe because others, like me, are prettier than they are?
There is evidence of humans wearing clothes from 5,000 years ago, and some conjectures have been made that prehistoric humans wore some form of basic clothing (no real evidence is found yet). That could be more than 150,000 years of wearing clothes, so it's possibly one of the older habits of humankind. I think we are in a place (figuratively speaking) where we just can't go back to being naked, even if we have the freedom, it would be very unpractical since our bodies have lost a lot of physiological characteristics that protect us against the elements.

Having said that, laws are supposed to reflect the posture, morals, ideologies, etc. of the society it's being applied in... not every individual must agree to a law for it to take effect, but everyone must comply to them even if you are not a citizen of that society. This is only my guess, but laws are the way a given society defines their means to reach 'progress', that's obviously very subjective and that's why every country (or federal entity) has it's own set of laws. It's basically a race of who's best lol.

There aren't many countries that strictly state laws against being naked in public, as it is more convenient for the law to group that topic under 'indecent behaviors', again something very subjective. I feel that's another way to say 'we will decide what is improper behavior case by case' so that's that.

Finally, the UN has declared the UDHR in which is stated:
"Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care..."

This is where I get confused, because if wearing clothes is a right, then you are free to choose to exert that right... or not. Again it would be very unpractical, but if it's your choice then being naked shouldn't be considered indecent Per se, what's indecent is what you are doing while being naked, and each society defines where that line is. I guess you wouldn't close a deal with someone who is completely naked, it shouldn't matter... but again, because of our ancestral habits it does matter.

This all makes my head spin... it's so difficult and convoluted.
(06 May 2021, 00:11 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]Why is public nudity prohibited?

Because it boils down to majority collective entitlement.

Take a substantial sample size group and you will have an X amount of people who will feel offended and sexually confronted and/or threatened by public nudity.

It's a psychological effect of ambiguity.
Regardless of the behaviour of a nude person in public, it's the interpretation and perception of ambiguity at the root of labeling this nude person as neutral or as a threat.
In most cases the perception will be inclined to interpret the sole factor of nudity as "If you are not clearly for me (my safety) then you must probably be against me." (as a predatory threat). This interpretation is not unlikely in the case of say, a 16 year old girl, passing through the park after class hours.

Now it happens to be that these social constructs have protective structures in place such as patriarchy etc. ( the entitled fathers and caretakers who've sworn to protect their wives and daughters from whomever they identify as "predators")
In the end, those groups form large majority clusters - and those majority clusters voted to institute such rules.

Fastforward to modern times ; For example, just google 'meggings, mens leggings, MAMIL and bulges' and you will likely find the word "predatory" mentioned in the respective articles in the same breath.
(06 May 2021, 04:10 )MIWSTIUS Wrote: [ -> ]In most cases the perception will be inclined to interpret the sole factor of nudity as "If you are not clearly for me (my safety) then you must probably be against me." (as a predatory threat).
Aren't we supposed to have no natural predators anymore? It amazes me how deep our instincts go, our brains are in a feedback loop so they 'need' to fill that predator space in our brains with something... if there are no real predators, then we will fill that space with whatever crosses our fears first. Crazy.

(06 May 2021, 04:10 )MIWSTIUS Wrote: [ -> ]In the end, those groups form large majority clusters - and those majority clusters voted to institute such rules.
It's pretty difficult to define objectively what is best, isn't it? What if we are all wrong, and we see good as bad, and bad as good... or is the majority right? well, I guess history has the answer to that. Maybe we are heading towards self destruction and we don't even know it.
Quote:Is there anything in the Bible...

Well, there's the passage in Genesis 3 about Adam and Eve (having eaten the forbidden fruit) realising they were naked, being ashamed and making themselves aprons out of fig leaves. I imagine that's common to all the Abrahamic religions.
(06 May 2021, 20:44 )RedEmeraldKitsune Wrote: [ -> ]It amazes me how deep our instincts go
According to most ethologists and the definition of instincts, humans do not have instincts at all. According to other ethologists, humans lose all instincts (even if they exist) during the initial learning and socialization. Instincts must not be confused with reflexes and conditionings.
(06 May 2021, 20:49 )Culmor Wrote: [ -> ]Well, there's the passage in Genesis 3 about Adam and Eve (having eaten the forbidden fruit) realising they were naked, being ashamed and making themselves aprons out of fig leaves.
Yep, that's it!

(06 May 2021, 20:49 )Culmor Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine that's common to all the Abrahamic religions.
Yes, this is my understanding as well.
(06 May 2021, 20:51 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]
(06 May 2021, 20:49 )Culmor Wrote: [ -> ]Well, there's the passage in Genesis 3 about Adam and Eve (having eaten the forbidden fruit) realising they were naked, being ashamed and making themselves aprons out of fig leaves.
Yep, that's it!

(06 May 2021, 20:49 )Culmor Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine that's common to all the Abrahamic religions.
Yes, this is my understanding as well.

I have a feeling that at some point there's a reference to wearing animal skins being approved of by YHVH but I'd have to research it. Certainly Deuteronomy has a host of random commandments about things such as being required to have blue tassels on the four corners of your robe, and crossdressing is definitely a no-no.
(06 May 2021, 20:49 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]According to most ethologists and the definition of instincts, humans do not have instincts at all. According to other ethologists, humans lose all instincts (even if they exist) during the initial learning and socialization.
Yeah your right, instinct is a strong word lol. Given the right conditions we can suppress a lot of reflexes and behaviors.
[url=

Source: https://youtu.be/0ujoXRAZU3g
]What's in the box?[/url]

(06 May 2021, 21:03 )Culmor Wrote: [ -> ]and crossdressing is definitely a no-no.
Yes, I was so impressed how clear-cut that is. I mean detesting someone is a very intense feeling.
Pages: 1 2 3