Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Research on sexual fantasies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Reddit user IronyAndWhine made this graphic showing the frequency of 55 sexual fantasies by gender according to the study What Exactly Is an Unusual Sexual Fantasy? published on October 30, 2014, on the Journal of Sexual Medicine. It's an interesting look at human sexuality.

[attachment=13114]

This were the results of the study according to the abstract:
Only two sexual fantasies were found to be rare for women or men, while nine others were unusual. Thirty sexual fantasies were common for one or both genders, and only five were typical. These results were confirmed with qualitative analyses. Submission and domination themes were not only common for both men and women, but they were also significantly related to each other. Moreover, the presence of a single submissive fantasy was a significant predictor of overall scores for all SF in both genders.
To sad, that there is nothing about Bondage! That would be realy interesting!
No bondage indeed, but there are some BDSM related fantasies.Actually, the results are quite strange. I wonder what kind(s ?) of people participated, and how many took part in the survey. Any links to the article?
OK, found some links:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.11...4/abstract

Quote:Abstract
Introduction

Although several theories and treatment plans use unusual sexual fantasies (SF) as a way to identify deviancy, they seldom describe how the fantasies referred to were determined to be unusual.
Aim

The main goal of this study was to determine which SF are rare, unusual, common, or typical from a statistical point of view among a relatively large sample of adults recruited from the general population. A secondary goal was to provide a statistical comparison of the nature and intensity of sexual fantasies for men and women. This study also aims at demonstrating with both quantitative and qualitative analyses that certain fantasies often considered to be unusual are common.
Methods

An Internet survey was conducted with 1,516 adults (799 ♀; 717 ♂) who ranked 55 different SF and wrote their own favorite SF. Each SF was rated as statistically rare (2.3% or less), unusual (15.9% or less), common (more than 50%), or typical (more than 84.1% of the sample).
Main Outcome Measures

An extended version of the Wilson's Sex Fantasy Questionnaire with an open question.
Results

Only two sexual fantasies were found to be rare for women or men, while nine others were unusual. Thirty sexual fantasies were common for one or both genders, and only five were typical. These results were confirmed with qualitative analyses. Submission and domination themes were not only common for both men and women, but they were also significantly related to each other. Moreover, the presence of a single submissive fantasy was a significant predictor of overall scores for all SF in both genders.
Conclusion

Care should be taken before labeling an SF as unusual, let alone deviant. It suggested that the focus should be on the effect of a sexual fantasy rather than its content. Joyal CC, Cossette A, and Lapierre V. What exactly is an unusual sexual fantasy? J Sex Med
Different details:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...103014.php

Quote:Sexual fantasies: Are you normal?

This news release is available in French.

Hoping for sex with two women is common but fantasizing about golden showers is not. That's just one of the findings from a research project that scientifically defines sexual deviation for the first time ever. It was undertaken by researchers at Institut universitaire en santé mentale de Montréal and Institut Philippe-Pinel de Montréal, affiliated with University of Montreal. Although many theories about deviant sexual fantasies incorporate the concept of atypical fantasies (paraphilias), the scientific literature does not describe what these types of fantasies actually are. In North America, the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) refers to "anomalous" fantasies, while the World Health Organization talks about "unusual" fantasies in defining paraphilias. But what is an unusual sexual fantasy exactly? The prestigious Journal of Sexual Medicine published the answer today.

"Clinically, we know what pathological sexual fantasies are: they involve non-consenting partners, they induce pain, or they are absolutely necessary in deriving satisfaction. But apart from that, what exactly are abnormal or atypical fantasies? To find out, we asked people in the general population, as simple as that," said Christian Joyal, lead author of the study. "Our main objective was to specify norms in sexual fantasies, an essential step in defining pathologies," he noted. "And as we suspected, there are a lot more common fantasies than atypical fantasies. So there is a certain amount of value judgment in the DSM-5."

Since the majority of studies on sexual fantasies are conducted with university students, this study required finding a sample of adults willing to describe their sexual fantasies. As a result, 1,517 Quebec adults (799 men and 718 women; mean age 30 years) responded to a questionnaire describing their sexual fantasies, as well as describing their favourite fantasy in detail (hybrid quantitative and qualitative research design). The results are more than interesting.

Results

The nature of sexual fantasies are varied among the general population. Few fantasies can be considered statistically rare, unusual, or typical (see glossary).

However, not surprisingly, the study confirms that men have more fantasies and describe them more vividly than women. The study also tells us that a significant proportion of women (30% to 60%) evoke themes associated with submission (e.g., being tied up, spanked, forced to have sex).

Importantly, unlike men, women in general clearly distinguish between fantasy and desire. Thus, many women who express more extreme fantasies of submission (e.g. domination by a stranger) specify that they never want these fantasies to come true. The majority of men, however, would love their fantasies to come true (e.g. threesomes).

As expected, the presence of one's significant other is considerably stronger in female fantasies than in male fantasies. In general, men in couples fantasize much more about extramarital relationships compared to women.

One of the most intriguing findings has to do with the significant number of unique male fantasies, for example, regarding 'shemales', anal sex among heterosexuals, and the idea of watching their partner have sex with another man. Evolutionary biological theories cannot explain these fantasies, which, among males, are typically desires. Overall, these findings allow us to shed light on certain social phenomena, such as the popularity of the book 'Fifty Shades of Grey' with women," Joyal said. "The subject is fascinating. We are currently conducting statistical analyses with the same data to demonstrate the existence of homogeneous subgroups of individuals based on combinations of fantasies. For example, people who have submission fantasies also often report domination fantasies. These two themes are therefore not exclusive, quite the contrary. They also seem associated with a higher level of satisfaction."

So, apparently bondage was mentioned somewhere.
This phrase changes the audience sharply:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morni...dominated/

Quote:To achieve this goal, the team asked more than 1,500 college students to rank 55 sexual fantasies and describe their own favorite. Example: The top-ranked fantasy was “I like to feel romantic emotions during a sexual relationship.” Among women surveyed, 92.2 percent shared this fantasy; among men, 88.3 percent. On the low end of the spectrum, fewer than 1 percent of women had fantasized about having sex with a child under 12 years old; among men, 1.8 percent had.

COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!!!! That explains the strange results.
The bondage question is this one:

[attachment=13116]

Also I do not think college students are particularly representative of the wider 'public'. Certainly when I was a student even though I was aeady into my pantyhose fetish and mild self-bondage all I really wanted was sex, and I wasn't too fussy about who, when, where or how! ☺

You need a true cross-spectrum of people, from 16 to 60 at the very least if you are doing this sort of research and claiming some meaningful results.

Another point is who wrote the questions? Most of then sound (to me) very masculine and certainly not something a woman would have thought of... maybe?

I think the results are interesting but certainly not representative.

Good find and great thread 😁

MJ
I just thought it was a good post for some discussion. And Ra has been reading a lot today 😉
I've heard that more than 70% of all psychological surveys conducted in the last 5 years are faulty. Speaking of this survey, either the goal is not correctly stated, or the test was incorrectly conducted, or the publicly available description is wrong:

(04 Nov 2014, 15:10 )Like Ra Wrote: [ -> ]The main goal of this study was to determine which SF are rare, unusual, common, or typical from a statistical point of view among a relatively large sample of adults recruited from the general population. A secondary goal was to provide a statistical comparison of the nature and intensity of sexual fantasies for men and women.

E.g. students of one college is not "the general population". And, as I stated in this post http://www.likera.com/blog/wp/archives/9610 recent generations are much less interested in fetishes.
And it was done in Quebec, which is, if I am not mistaking, in Canada.
Canada! Probably the most conventional, non-rebellious, respecting and moderate country in the world.
Go ask the same questions over here, in the Sodom&Gomorra of modern times, the dark pit of all that is dirty and nasty and therefore sexy, the cannabis smoking, freeloading one big red light district where money is free, the girls are green and the grass is pretty, the country called Amsterdam 😉...
Pages: 1 2