Like Ra's Naughty Forum

Full Version: Adjustable power electronic timer and DIY vacuum bed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just finished constructing an adjustable power timer and thought I'd share it with all of you nice people (and get up my first post ever on this forum).

[attachment=8480]

Plug it in, and a digital programmable timer will turn the outlet on and off (up to 7 programs, time resolution of 1 minute). A dimmer allows you to adjust the output voltage if desired. I have also included a mechanical timer as a safety feature - it will shut off, no matter what, after an hour. You could use this to power a vibrator, a light, a vacuum, an electromagnet, or anything else that uses mains power.

[attachment=8479]

I was looking at a way to control a vac bed or a vibrator (or both). I didn't need the vacuum running at full bore the entire time (plus, there are other people living on the floor below mine, and I strive to be nice). The dimmer works great for this. It takes a little longer to evacuate the air, but that's fine by me. It works just as well, and it's quieter, and it can run longer without overheating.

The wiring looks complicated, but it's actually fairly simple.

[attachment=8483]

The power first goes into the digital timer. Then, the load wire runs through the dimmer, then the mechanical timer, and finally into the outlet, with the neutral wire from the input power completing the circuit (and, of course, grounding everything).

Enter your program in the digital timer, set the dimmer to the appropriate level, turn the mechanical timer to the maximum allowable time, and get ready.

[attachment=8481]

Although it seems a bit complex, this builds in several safety checks. If the power goes out, everything turns off immediately. When power is restored, the digital timer defaults to off, so you don't get stuck when the programming gets erased. The mechanical timer provides another backup in case you accidentally screw up the program or if there's some weird power surge. It will keep counting down, regardless of whether it has power or not, so even if everything else goes wrong, it will still cut off when it's supposed to. I chose a mechanical timer that maxes out at 60 minutes, but there are others that range anywhere from 5 minutes to a full day, if you so wish.

All told, the system set me back about $60 (most of that cost was the timers - I decided to go for a more pricey model because that gave me more flexibility in my design and programming). I built it in about hour (plus an extra trip to the hardware store to get a different dimmer that would fit better). Then, I decided to be nice and create a CAD drawing of the wiring diagram (also, to get better at using CAD, since it's a program that I use for work), which took me another couple of hours.

[attachment=8482]

The wire colors are shown correctly in the drawing. The red wire is for a different configuration of the digital timer, so that it can be hooked to another toggle switch when you use it like you're supposed to in a building; thus, it is left unconnected. I should also note that the dimmer and the mechanical timer are switched in the drawing, though that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

It works great, and it looks pretty (I'm glad I went for the nice-looking brown fiberglass gang box instead of the blue plastic one), and everything matches, including the orientation of the screws (to satisfy my OCD!).

Remember, play safe! [Insert obligatory 'don't use a vacbed alone' and 'always have another backup or three' warnings here].

Parts list:
-Grounded [3 prong] power cable (scavenged from an old computer)
-4-gang box
-4-gang wallplate with square [Decorator] cutouts
-Digital programmable wall timer
-Spring-wound countdown timer (60 minute)
-Slide dimmer
-Duplex outlet for rectangular wallplate cutout
(06 Oct 2013, 00:45 )BoundWolf Wrote: [ -> ]my first post ever on this forum
And what a beginning! Thanks much! Great design!
(06 Oct 2013, 00:45 )BoundWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I have also included a mechanical timer as a safety feature
Very smart addition!
Finally (at very long last), I had a chance to test this out properly. It worked perfectly. I set two programs - a short one so I could do a safety/viability test, a short break, then a (long) full session. During the first test, I noticed that my bed wasn't pulling enough of a vacuum because it wasn't sealed correctly, and because the adjustable power was set a little too low. The break allowed me to fix the problems, then it started back up again for the real deal. Everything worked out exactly as I intended; I love it when a plan cums (haha *shot) together. Now, I just have a few adjustments to make on the bed itself, like a different way to run the breathing tube so that it doesn't dig into the roof of my mouth.

On the subject of the vacbed, since this is an entirely DIY project (for cost, because I like building stuff, and because learning is fun!), I have been using fairly heavy plastic sheeting, which has the advantages of being very cheap, easily replaceable if damaged, thick enough to hold tightly, and large enough (I went for an 8x5 foot frame to give me room to stretch out). While this works fairly well, it would be nice to have something that stretches more (and would mold better over my body), like latex. Anyone know where I could get 80+ square feet of latex or PVC in the US without breaking the bank?
(05 Nov 2013, 04:37 )BoundWolf Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know where I could get 80+ square feet of latex or PVC in the US without breaking the bank?
First thought is eBay:

eBay: latex sheet fabric
Search eBay UK: latex sheet fabric
Search eBay DE: ("4d",meterware) (rubber,latex)

Second thought: Chinese trading websites.
Silk Road !
Fascinating post- thanks for sharing with us BoundWolf (love the name too!)

Very interested in your vacuum bed set-up, what can you tell us about it and are there any photos to share?

MJ
(05 Nov 2013, 14:14 )NoDiceSoldier Wrote: [ -> ]Silk Road !

I'm fairly certain that site has been seized by the FBI.

(05 Nov 2013, 20:22 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]Fascinating post- thanks for sharing with us BoundWolf (love the name too!)

Thanks!

(05 Nov 2013, 20:22 )madjack Wrote: [ -> ]Very interested in your vacuum bed set-up, what can you tell us about it and are there any photos to share?

Sure.

[attachment=8860]

I used 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe for the frame, with 3/16" holes drilled every 6" (as a clarification, since I suspect a fair number of you work in metric, the quote ["] is standard shorthand for inch [1"=25.4mm]). I may drill those out a little larger, but they seem to work pretty well at this point. The frame is 8 ft by 5 ft. The bed material itself is 3.5mil plastic sheeting. I tried melting it together using a heat gun, or gluing it, but in the end, standard packing tape did a great job - quick and cheap, and it doesn't leak or come apart.

[attachment=8859]

This photo shows the bed without the sheeting. The vacuum plugs into a Tee branch at the top left. The piece of black tubing in the center is connected directly into the PVC frame. The vacuum wasn't pulling as well around my head (material doesn't stretch as much as I'd like, and air leaking out my nose - I've got to get some nose plugs!), so I added the tubing extension so that I get an extra vacuum inlet near my neck. This worked great - very tight around my head, just like I'd hoped.

The breathing tube comes out near the Tee branch, and it terminates in a large PVC pipe end. I decided to do this as another layer of safety - it is very difficult, nigh impossible, to block the end of the tube with that large of an end. If it didn't have the fitting, it could easily get blocked or covered if something fell on it.

[attachment=8858][attachment=8857]

The only problem I ran into during this session was that the increased pressure of the sheet pushed the breathing tube a little further in, so that it was jammed up against the roof of my mouth (annoying, but bearable). I've thought of a couple of different ways to fix that:
1) Run it into a ball gag (I've got one aeady drilled out for this size tube). This will keep it in a fixed position, with the added benefit that it also can't slip out of my mouth.
2) Cut an opening directly into the middle of the sheet. I'm a little reticent to do this as it will be difficult to reinforce, and as it has a higher potential to slip off to the side or to leak.

As I said, it's a quick-and-dirty system, with things jury-rigged when issues arose. That said, I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a couple ideas on where to go from here and how to make it better. If you've got any, throw them my way!
(07 Nov 2013, 06:30 )BoundWolf Wrote: [ -> ]The only problem I ran into during this session was that the increased pressure of the sheet pushed the breathing tube a little further in, so that it was jammed up against the roof of my mouth (annoying, but bearable). I've thought of a couple of different ways to fix that:
1) Run it into a ball gag (I've got one aeady drilled out for this size tube). This will keep it in a fixed position, with the added benefit that it also can't slip out of my mouth.

Excellent option and one I've used in the past - I had a large soft 'dog ball' with a hole worked through the middle and a length of stiff pipe inserted to breathe through. I now use my home made 'penis gag' where the action of the vacuum forcing the gag deeper into my throat can be very erotic...

MJ
Pages: 1 2 3